Indexing your app’s content through Google search is a powerful way to generate more users for your mobile application. Thankfully, Google has made the process of having your app indexed on Google’s search results relatively simple. If you’d like to add this functionality to your Android application, then simply follow the steps below, which we’ve borrowed from Google’s own instructions.
4 Steps To Indexing Your Android App On Google Search
- First you will have to add an “<intent-filter>” element to your Android manifest file. This will be for all of the activities within your Android mobile application that you’d like to be accessed through search results.
- Next, you will have to add an “<action>” tag within the “<intent-filter>” that points to an “ACTION_VIEW” intent action.
- After you’ve done that, you’ll have to add “<data>” tags for each of the URI formats that are accepted by the activity. This is the most important component for declaring the format of the deep links.
- Finally, you’ll have to add a “<category>” tag the works for both the “DEFAULT” and “BROWSABLE” intent categories.
a. You’ll need the “BROWSEABLE” intent category in order to make sure that your content will pull up through a web browser. If you fail to include this, then your app won’t be able to launch through Google search results.
- b. The “DEFAULT” tab is not required to make your deep links work, however it will be necessary if you’d like links from third-party websites to go to your mobile application.
If you’d like to read about this process more in depth, then you can visit Google’s own directions, which you’ll find under the sources section below.
How To Verify That You’ve Properly Indexed Your Android App
After you’ve set everything up, you’ll want to double check that your links are working as you intend them to. Otherwise it’s possible that users who click on Google search result deep links won’t be able to reach your mobile application. To do this, you can take advantage of Google’s deep links testing tool. This can be located on their website at the following web address: https://developers.google.com/app-indexing/webmasters/test
#android #google #androidapps #mobiledevelopers #appdevelopment